Your Ad Here

Get some sew-how!


I've begun to work on another aspect of the do-it/make-it yourself philosophy of greensteading: sewing. I am currently reading Sew Anything Workshop by resident New Yorker Diana Rupp which has expanded my sew-how in no time. I know now that felt can be used for much more than home-ec projects for example. I was suprised to find out that felt is actually made up of high quality wool fibers that are pressed together until they become a solid (kindof like the way I make knots when I am hand sewing.) I have embarked on one of the projects in her book: the quilt for dummies. I've chosen this project becomes it doesn't require any fancy techniques like darting or gathering, and I can do it by hand. I am saving up to buy my first sewing machine...which feels a bit like when I was saving up to buy my first car: I'm excited but also petrified. Will I be able to use it like a pro? Will I be a danger to myself, or the machine? Then there is the all-important question of which make and model to invest in...

However, I'm just not a how-to manual type of gal. I really need someone to show me step by step the different seams, darting and gathering techniques etc. I'm hoping that maybe someone in my building will exchange sewing lessons for homemade pies, radishes, or fresh herbs perhaps.

Total investment in fabric: 1 yd of eylet $4.00. 2 yds of green striped cotton $8.00. Bought at "abric Warehouse" on Broadway just below Canal St in Chinatown.
Stumble
Delicious
Technorati
Twitter
Facebook