Your Ad Here

Laundry in the Tub= the Gym for Poor People (and Greensteaders)




If, like me, you're wondering how on earth you can afford to go to a gym AND do your laundry, never fear...the solution is here. Yesterday I decided to try out this little electric washer that my boyfriend had brought over. However, the thing is tiny so I had to do about 10 loads of sheets, towels, and clothes. You know how they tell you to use one of the baskets instead of a shopping cart while you're at the grocery? This was like that, only a million times better (if you're looking to buff up those arms while taking care of menial household tasks.) My biceps were aching from all the lifting up and down and carrying of buckets filled with soapy water. Why I didn't plug in the washer closer to the bathtub where I was keeping the wet laundry instead of going back and forth between the kitchen and the bathroom, I'll never know. But, my arm muscles are thanking me for it. Or cursing me, its hard to tell.

Then theres all the bending over, squatting, and squeezing of inner thigh and arm muscles as I attempted to rinse my laundry, 1850 style. Picture the grape stomping episode of I Love Lucy, and you'll know what I mean. My inner thigh strengthening trick: to squeeze out excess water from the towel or sheet place the laundry between your legs and squeeze hard. Its actually quite fun. If you have a significant other they will particularly enjoy this exercise because you probably won't be wearing any pants.

In terms of being green however, I don't recommend using the Wonder Washer. It uses electricity to do what I can do very well with own two hands (and feet). The only concern I have is the amount of water I use to do the rinsing. However, if you have a low-flow showerhead you should use less water to do the laundry in the tub than you would in a machine at the laundromat. You will definitely save money by doing laundry at home.

I took my wet laundry to the laundromat to dry it, which turned out to be a mistake because despite all the inner thigh squeezing, the clothes were still sopping wet! I definitely reccommend drying at home either completely or letting the laundry dry for a bit before taking it to the laundromat. Total cost: $2.25.

p.s. I used Seventh Generation detergent.











Stumble
Delicious
Technorati
Twitter
Facebook